Monday, October 3, 2011

"Through to Our Bones" - Daniel Ferlan, a show curated by Wynter Whiteside


"And Then Came the Sparkles" by Daniel Ferlan

Friday night I had the pleasure of meeting another 2012 Second Round Judge, Wynter Whiteside. Like I’ve said before I have been e-mailing back and forth with all of the second round judges, but it is always great to meet face to face.

Wynter Whisteside is a grad from the Columbus College of Art & Design, she is a fine artist and also a curator.

I met Wynter at the Sharon Weiss Gallery in the Short North in Columbus for the opening night of “Through to Our Bones” an exhibition of work by Daniel Ferlan, curated by Wynter.

I went to the exhibit not knowing what kind of artwork I was going to see, I didn’t know what to expect. I must say I was pleasantly surprised. Ferlan’s work was pretty cool. His paintings have  a sense of humor and a sort of dark undertone. But he uses a lot of playful colors and imagery to evoke the sense of romance and love, which is what this show was about.

The pieces were on the smaller scale, nothing taking up a huge part of the wall, but I think that kind of scale would have taken away from the pieces. Ferlan’s pieces are painted so smoothly and with care that when looking at them you have such an appreciation for the craftsmanship. Along with the painted pieces there was a film looping on a TV in the gallery as well. My favorite pieces were two little paintings by the TV incased in a plastic frame with flowers and decorations inside the frame with the painting. This is definitely a show worth stopping in to see! Not to mention, Columbus Alive named this show one of the top 3 exhibitions to see this fall!

“Through to Our Bones” – Daniel Ferlan will be at the Sharon Weiss Gallery until October 31st, 2011.

Look out for the next blog post! I’ll be interviewing and meeting with Wynter very soon!

Until then, get out there before it gets too cold and enjoy some artwork!


"My Little Darlings" by Daniel Ferlan

No comments:

Post a Comment