GRANVILLE, Ohio — Denison University’s Newark Art Space welcomes members of the community to open house events this fall at the Newark Art Space (23 West Church, Newark). The open houses provide an opportunity for guests to meet the artists-in-residence, participate in workshops and gather with community members. These events are free and open to the public. For more information, contact Jonathan Vega at 740-587-6325 or visit Denison.edu.
Supported in part by a grant from the Ohio Arts Council, the Newark Art Space is a large, open, multi-use space in Newark’s Crystal Ballroom Building that is open to the Newark, Granville and Denison communities as a venue to experience art as an observer or audience member, and as a place to learn, perform and exhibit. Events include:
· Thursday, Sept. 29, from 9:30 a.m. until noon: Ceramic demonstration with Denison artists-in-residence Jennifer Hansen Gard and Lauren Karle.
· Friday, Sept. 30, from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.: Open House with artist-in-residence Jeni Hansen Gard. Enjoy an evening of hands-on art making, refreshments and community gathering. Guests will have the opportunity to make cups for the “Cups of Conversation” gallery exhibit on October 11.
· Tuesday, Oct. 11, from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.: “Cups of Conversation,” exhibition of cups created during the open house on Sept. 30.
· Wednesday, Nov. 2, from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.: Newark Art Space Grand Opening featuring a panel discussion with artists Jeni Hansen Gard, Peter Clouse, Joanna Powell and panel moderator Anna Walker, Windgate Foundation Curatorial Fellow for Contemporary Craft.
· Wednesday, Nov. 2, from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.: Open House with artist-in-residence Peter Clouse, a fiber artist whose work fuses the concepts of consumption, waste, and recycling with textile traditions and landscape.
· Wednesday, Nov. 30, from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.: Open House with artist-in-residence Joanna Powell, vessel maker and painter.
· Friday, Dec. 2, at noon: Artist’s Talk with vessel maker and painter Joanna Powell, artist-in-residence.